The Knights Landing Sportsmen's Club was started in 1948 when a small group of men got together who enjoyed shooting and hunting. The NRA Charter was established that year. The early meetings were held in the Scout Cabin and the Rifle Team built a rifle range at Camp 3 on the Sacramento River levee.
Some of the Founding Fathers were Jim Akin, Bruce Aseto, Bert Harris, Bill Leathers, Phil Nix, and James Easman.
The club later purchased property where the present club stands today. A small rifle range was built where the existing shop is today. The current 16 station range was built in ‘76 behind the main club meeting building.
The first pheasant program was started in November 1949. During the early years, the club bought birds and the State Fish and Game had a release program. There were 6,000 acres rented from River Garden Farms for $1000.00. Plus a partnership with Robbins Community Hall for land in Sutter Basin. The following year, 18,000 acres were obtained for the 1950 pheasant season. They also tried raising birds themselves but found this difficult with volunteer help.
Over the last 25 years the club has purchased birds from a local pheasant farm. Today, we release 1600 pheasants between River Garden Farms and Sutter Basin area Near Knights Landing Ca. We are a non-profit organization that donates proceeds from the pheasant hunting program to local charities in the Knights Landing and Robbins community area. Today its main benefactors are the Robbins Community hall, Knights Landing Fire Dept, The Catholic Church and the Library.
Today club activities include:
Pheasant hunting program
Jr & Sr Rifle teams
Annual Striper fishing derby
NRA foundation dinner
Hunters Education Classes
Opening Day Pancake Breakfast
Opening Day Spaghetti dinner
Today’s club members includes both Regular members (the volunteer working members that see to the daily operations), honorary life members and Associate members.